Sunday, December 15, 2013

So robbed....

For those who haven't been following this blog - I've been mining dogecoin this weekend.

Anyway, the pool I was mining with is (was?) called luckyminer.  Anyway, they were hacked last night and someone from Spain made off with over 54 million dogecoins.

So what does that amount to in real money?

Dogecoin has been going on average for 0.00000055 coins.  So

54271654.44546228 DOGE * 0.00000055 Bitcoin = 29.849409945 Bitcoin

And

29.849409945 Bitcoin * $876.83 = $26172.86

So someone made over $26,000 overnight hacking.  I have to say - that's quite a haul for 1 night's work.

The pool operator described it like this:

At 21:06:03 (09:06:03pm) someone from IP 147.83.175.33 broke into the system, used the problems the server had with its own database.
He came through the Servers ISP Config and transferred all of the Doge, the system had stored for its miners (who had not enabled auto-payout + waiting for transfer) to his Wallet

DHqLa4Z9iQyBZgtPP2oR9tMVPDVzzBBJST

http://dogechain.info/address/DHqLa4Z9iQyBZgtPP2oR9tMVPDVzzBBJST

I think it was nice of him to take the heat, and to provide the IP address, wallet and chain information on the coins. I think it will win him a lot of foregiveness because it shares the trail of bread crumbs and people can verify that something shitty happened.

Anyway.  Myself, I lost about $3000 dogecoin in the attack.  But if you're supposed to tithe 10%, well then, I guess god just took what was his.  LOL  Since I'm doing all of this for a lark anyway, I just find the whole thing interesting.  Or in doge:

Wow.  Such hacking.  Much theft.  Many doges. Wow.

OF course, I wonder what impact all of this will have on namecoin?  If this pool's domain had been secured via namecoin instead of the typical ICANN method...  would it have been hacked?  Hell if I know.  :)

NEWSFLASH:

The reddit thread was homing in on the hacker so fast - I can only guess he went into panic mode, since he gifted the entire amount back to the pool operator.  So if you have coins with luckyminer, sign in and cash them out.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete